Monday, January 2, 2012

Mexican Baked Beans

I got this recipe a long time ago from my very health-conscious sister.  I don't make it often, but when I do, I remember why I saved it for so long!  It's not quite a chili, but not quite a casserole.. I'm not sure what to call it, besides spicy and delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp veggie oil
  • 2 cups red onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 raw jalepeno peppers, minced
  • 2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 15oz can Pinto beans
  • 1 15oz can Great Northern beans
Directions:
  1. Chop up all your vegetables.
  2. Heat a heavy pot or deep skillet and add oil.
  3. Sautee onions to your liking.
  4. Add garlic, jalepenos, bell pepper and cumin, and sautee for a few more minutes.
  5. Stir in tomato sauce, honey, molasses, mustard and all beans.
  6. Re-season as needed.
  7. Pour mixture in oven-safe dish and bake uncovered for at least 30 minutes.  The longer you cook it, the more the beans will "set up" as the liquid is driven into the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment